Thread: PNG question

Question PNG question

Sorry to post such a basic question, but could someone please enlighten me!

I am using PSE3. When I save my LO as a PNG it askes me if I want to "interlace". What does this mean????.... and should I be selecting the interlaced option or not???

Thanks for helping
    Mandi

I use non-interlaced. I can't even remember what the "interlaced" option does, but non-interlaced works just fine. I am pretty sure I was told to use non by "someone who knew" (I took a class) when I first started making files that were saved in .png format.

I had to look it up too, but this is what I found. PNG is a 'new' version of a GIF, and this is GIF interlacing. Interlaced allows you to see a low resolution version of the picture before downloading very much of it. GIF interlacing has four passes, which show one out of every eight lines, then another eighth of the image, then another quarter, then the remaining half. GIF is a data-stream type format so you can view partially downloaded images whether or not they're interlaced - without interlacing, a 25% downloaded picture gives you the first 25% of the lines, starting at the top.

make sense? LOL. So really, if you are just keeping a PNG on your computer, it really doenst matter. Just if you are putting it on the web.
    ~ melissa ~

Default thanks

Thanks to you both! Wow...talk about complicated...but I do understand. I will continue to select the non interlaced option, now with more knowledge about what it is I'm actually doing!
    Thanks Again
    Mandi

Good question! I've always wondered that myself!!! Thanx for the info ladies!
    Laurie
    Gone Digi!!!

Yeah, I always wondered that, too! Thx.

Default PNG Question

What if the files will be on the Internet for sale? Should interlaced be used then? Thank you for clarifying this question.