Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Custom framing

Default Custom framing

Not sure this really belongs in this category, but I thought this was the best one....

Anyhow, where should I look to get photos or LO's custom framed? I went to Michael's (I have used them before and don't know where else to go-LOL!) to get two storyboards framed and the prices they quoted me were totally outrageous (I thought). The last time I went there, I had something mounted, framed with an expensive frame, matted (is that the correct spelling??) and used the best glass they offered, for around $60. They wanted $200 for the storyboard, which was around the same size, and I chose a frame and mat with very low price points.

Sooooo, I need to find another place-LOL!

ETA--btw, I am not meaning to start a Michael's bashing thread, just need help/suggestions
    Last edited by Hollie; 05-20-2006 at 11:26 PM.

Try a photographic store? I can make suggestions here in australia but not in the states (u r in the states?)

I have found great frames in Ikea, or some of our similar homewares stores. Some of the cheaper stores also have good frames, and I just sand, seal and repaint them. Buy the frame and have a matte board cut. Some art supply stores have good options and custom framing available too.

Good luck!
    Lanne

Proud Shabby Artist!

My Blog

Thanks for the ideas! You know, I don't even know of a good art supply store in my area--that is pretty sad! I imagine there should be one since it's not like I live out in the sticks, but I can't think of even one. I think I'll look around for a nice premade frame, if I can find one with correct dimensions, and then see I can get a matte cut for it. Hopefully that will be a less expensive route

Yes I was going to suggest the same as Lanne and I am from Aus as well. Over here I pop into places like spotlight....your version if you have one near you is Joann stores and I also pop into LSS (local scrapbooking shops) as many will sell them as well as photo places, picture frame places, art supply shops and also some of the much larger hardware store we have here in Australia. Even some of our cheap shops that sell framed pictures at next to nothing and just take out the pic...alter the frame....pop your LO in!
    Chris's Blog
    Chris's Gallery

Creating 4 Bella Scraps MagazineTM.

Have you looked online? I know there are a few places where you can get custom frames, and I think they may be cheaper than you-know-who.

http://www.framesbymail.com/
    http://www.dickblick.com/categories/framing/

And art.com has a 'photos into art' section where you can have your art printed and framed.

Let us know what you come up with, because I think I want to frame my storyboard, too!
    ~ashleigh
    ~*my gallery*~

Quote Originally Posted by ~ashleigh
    Have you looked online? I know there are a few places where you can get custom frames, and I think they may be cheaper than you-know-who.

http://www.framesbymail.com/
    http://www.dickblick.com/categories/framing/

And art.com has a 'photos into art' section where you can have your art printed and framed.

Let us know what you come up with, because I think I want to frame my storyboard, too!
    Okay--DUH!!! I googled "custom picture frames" (or something like that) and found this site http://www.pictureframes.com/ which has some very nice frames. I am hesitant to order since I can't really know the quality is for sure going to be good, but I put together a frame and matte that I liked and it was only about $60. That's a whole lot better than $200 for the same type of thing (as long as the frame is actually quality). They don't offer real glass, but none of these online companies seem to do that (probably too much hassle or even liability with the shipping). That price did include a foam core backing and non-glare acrylic, though. I'm going to ask my DH what he thinks when he gets home tonight. Even with shipping charges, this is still significantly cheaper than the store I mentioned. THANKS so much for the ideas

Default Aaron Bros

Do you have an Aaron Bros near? That is who I use and have always been happy. In fact, several times a year they have coupons for up to 40% off custom framing. If you have one by you, go to their website and sign up for their e-mail offers. That is where you get the coupons. I usually wait to have custom framing done until I can get it done on sale!

And if you don't have an Arron Bros, you might try Hobby Lobby. They also offer coupons that you can print and take in for huge discounts sometime. There's are generally 40% off. I have used them for custom framing and they are so much cheaper than our Art Gallery store which I have used also.
    joyglo

I've never heard of Aaron Bros, but I will see if I can locate one nearby. Most likely there isn't one, but I'll check it out. Hobby Lobby--I know we don't have one here. My MIL goes to HL and that was how I heard of it--I think it's a really funny name. Totally makes me giggle every time I hear it

Also, check to see if there is a local framer. We have a couple of places here that frame. I don't know what size you are looking at but there are now some ready made scrapbook frames. No space for a mat, but the frame is for 12X12 scrapbook frames, done in shadowbox style so there is space for embellishments

Nancy