Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What lens should I get?

I have bought from these folks here, always happy with the service and prices. And I have bought from my local camera store, too. It's nice to go there and be able to play with the lenses and such before actually buying. They've even let me sign out lenses to try out for a day or two.

Trese
    Trese
    Yep, I'm bloggin!

I know I am a little late jumping in here but...I have been doing tons of research on lenses and I must say that if you can afford an L series lens then get one! I just ordered the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L to go on my Canon 20D for about 1300.00. But if you can't quite afford that then I would go with the 50mm. I decided to purchase the 50mm f/1.4 instead of the 1.8 because it is supposedly built better, but as far as picture quality I believe that they are pretty similar and you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Plus, the 1.8 is only 80 bucks were as the 1.4 is around 300.00. I also have the 70-300mm lens and it is good for some things, but if you are looking for a good portrait lens I suggest getting the 50mm. Unbelievably sharp! Hope this helps!

Kirstie

I too wonder what lenses are 'worth' getting. I dont like changing lenses.. i dont like taking them all out and swapping them when I am out.

I have a 30D.. and it came with a 18 - 55mm - i thought this was great.. and wasnt sure I needed anything else.. until I started demanding a lil more from it...LOL. (about 10 days in!) so I went back and got the 75 - 300.. LOVE this... but I found it a lil heavy at first and got a bit of camera shake.. now that i have used it more.. i am getting better better with and can now pull a clear shot on fully extended without a tripod...

but the 50mm 1.4..i have heard it called the plastic fantastic. I couldnt agree more.. it is cheap.. and works like a charm. It doesnt have zoom.. and using your feet takes a lil getting used to. but oohhhhhhh what lovely pics... this stays on my camera all the time. I take the other two if going somewhere where photographing is my main intention of the day but... the 50mm is rarely off the camera.
    Lanne

Proud Shabby Artist!

My Blog