Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What lens should I get?

Default What lens should I get?

OK, I have a Canon Rebel XT -- and just have the kit lense -- which is ok, but I want to save my $$ and get another lens. I still haven't been able to take a photography course, but I am 'ok' with my camera -- but I don't know much about lenses. Here is what I am into -- I like photographing people -- preferably candid type shots -- so I would like something with a better zoom -- don't know much more other than that lol -- just know I want something more for a new toy haha

Gin
    Ginger Thibodeau
    Designer @ SOTB, Do it Digi, Digitals and 3scrapateers

-- R U SQUARE? - Come read my blog and let me tempt you over to the dark side of rectangle scrapping --

I just got the 50mm 1.8 and love it! It dosn't have a zoom on it so you would have to get in close with you feet but it's real good for portraits! You could try the 75-300, that has an awesome zoom!
    hope this helps!
    Tina

I also recommend the 50 1.8. Excellent lens that's very inexpensive. I also have the 75-300 lens, and it's a great as well.
    Angela

My Blog

Proudly designing layouts for:
    Heather Roselli
    Manda Bean
    Andrea Victoria
    Marie Koegelenberg
    Marsha Zepeda
    Kristin Cronin-Barrow
    Sandra Boddington
    Fee Jardine
    Maya

I also just bought the Rebel XT (wahoo!!!), have the kit lens and the 75-300 lens. I want a lens that can take better portraits. I just take pics of my little girl, but I want them to look good... I am taking a few small photo classes from a local shop and one of the guys told me that the 50 1.8 lens is not a good lens to take portraits with. He said that the pics will turn out like those crazy distorted pics that people take of their dogs with the huge noses, LOL not quite the pic I was thinking of for my little one.

HELPPPP... Will somebody post a link to a pic that they took with their 50 1.8 and tell me the settings that they took it on. You know those sales guys they could have just been encouraging me to buy a pricier lens!!!

Default For Kami

http://www.theshabbyshoppe.com/photo...=500&ppuser=61

I use my 50mm for just about all of my shoots- here are the setting for this photo
    ss- 1/4000 * F-1.8 * ISO 400 * Focal length was 50mm!
    http://mylilcreations.blogspot.com/
    Tina's templates and creations

I got the 75-300 as a bday present from my DH yesterday! I LOVE it!!

Next purchase I think will be to 50 1.8
    Ginger Thibodeau
    Designer @ SOTB, Do it Digi, Digitals and 3scrapateers

-- R U SQUARE? - Come read my blog and let me tempt you over to the dark side of rectangle scrapping --

Lucky you!! Happy B-lated Birthday!!!
    Tina
    http://mylilcreations.blogspot.com/
    Tina's templates and creations

I just got my Digital Rebal XT and I really have no idea what to do with it. LOL! I have taken a ton of pictures on the auto function. Thanks for posting about the lens to get. Any good tutorials you can post for photography?

I love my 50mm lens! It's perfect for natural light in low light situations. You said that you wanted a little more zoom, so you could go with the 85mm, 1.8. It's actually a telephoto lens, but it's not a telephoto zoom lens. Meaning it's fixed and you can zoom in. Basically what your eyes see without looking through the lens.
    I really am going with either the 85mm or the 100mm. I can't make up my mind yet though.
    Good luck!
    Tegan

Where do you ladies buy your camera accessories at? Lens, flashes and what not.