Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What's your favorite PP "trick"

Quote Originally Posted by bugshine
    Betty Jo, how do you add in another background without it looking fake? When I try to do that it looks fake or there's little chunks of the old background still attached to my subjects, etc. You have any tricks for me that might help?
    Emily, I'm not at all sure I do it the "correct" way, but it works for me. I've only been using PSCS2 for a few months now and still learning. Once I finish making all the adjustments to the photo I want I then place it over another photo that I want for my background. In the following photo I wanted something that would make it "appear" there are trees and sky behind Emily. But I didn't want to simply put in trees and sky or it would take the attention off her. I found a photo I like, actually of grass and dew drops, took only a small portion of it, blew it up to the size of my original photo and blurred it with Gaussian blur. Once I got everything in place then on the original (top) photo I simply removed the portion where I wanted the new background to show through. I use the lasso tool for that, sometimes the eraser tool, unless I want a soft edge, then I mask the top photo and use brushes. The hard part of this particular photo was her hair. Her hair frizzes awful when pulled back the way she likes it. So I simply cut out the outline of her head, picked up the lightest color in her hair, and with a fine brush drew in the frizzies. No one, except perhaps for her mom, would know the difference. I did have one lady write to ask me how long it took to erase around all those little hairs.
    http://www.theshabbyshoppe.com/photo...500&ppuser=402

Is that as clear as mud? Now you know for sure I'm not a teacher or tutorial writer!! :0)
    ~Betty Jo~

Please visit my gallery and my blog!

Quote Originally Posted by lilpickel
    Betty Jo,
    For a defog you go to filters>sharpen>Unsharp mask (USM) then put in these #'s 20/60/0. If you plan on doing more to your photos (actions or what not) start with 10/30/0. HTH

Tina
    Tina thank you soooooo much! I use unsharp mask, but had never heard this term. Will go right away and try your directions. I'm really new at digital and photo fixing, having only used slide/film up until a few months ago, so want to learn all that I can. Do you have links to any favorite tutorials concerning photo fixing?
    ~Betty Jo~

Please visit my gallery and my blog!

Is there any hope for a girl with PSP8? I have Virtual Photographer but not sure I really use it correctly. Are they any good plug-ins for psp? I see so many for Photoshop but it's not in the budget for me especially since I am not a pro.
    You girls amaze me with your work!!

Thanks for all of the tips! I'm going to have to try VP, I have it downloaded, but haven't used it yet.

Definately USM! A lot of times I will adjust levels and contrast as well!
    Tegan

I usually do the defog right away when I open a photo. Once I'm done editing it, should I do another USM? If so...what settings would I use?
    ~Jen~

Just downloaded VP and absolutely LOVE it! It's almost 2am and I'm still up playing with it!
    Nancy

www.monkey-tails.com

I use usm on almost all of my photos! Levels, contrast, layers & opacity! I put a lot into editing, just my style I guess!
    Tegan